Saturday, July 9, 2011

Simplify-ing My Life

I just read this:

"To lead a simple life in reasonable comfort, with a minimum of possessions, ranks high among the art of living.  It leaves us the time, resources and freedom of mind we need for the things that give life value:  loving, helping, serving and giving."     -Eknath Easwaran-

Great statement!
This week I picked up 100 Ways to Simplify your Life by Joyce Meyer and am inspired to share my thoughts with you on simplicity and living small.  
So, my goal here is to write each day on the 100 ways that she mentions and to share how I intend to implement those steps.
Day 1:  Doing 1 thing at a time

This is not as simple as it appears.  In a world where multi-tasking is the norm and single-minded focus flows against the crowd I often wonder how I can still my mind and focus on just the moment; the one thing I'm facing.

From listening to music while I work, Facebooking while I listen to a podcast [is facebooking a verb?] to playing a piece of music while watching the choir, the director and paying attention to the 2 year old off to the side who simply can't stay still, this is my "norm".
I love what I do.  I love that I can do many things at a time.  I love that I have a feeling of accomplishment at the end of the day.  What I don't enjoy is the feeling that I have to rush through the things that I do.

I go for a walk with the dog - no time to enjoy the flowers.  Just hurry up and get it done.
I listen to the TV or a podcast - hurry up and get to the point already
Driving to where I need to be - no time to enjoy the scenery  just worry and fret that I might be late.

For Today:

I can do well in many things but if I could focus on one thing at a time how much better would I complete the task?

Does any of this ring true for you?
For today I will be fully present in the moment as I work and play.
Would love to hear how you manage to focus.
Til again,
Doll









1 comment:

  1. to one who "heard the buzzing of the bees and nothing else in the 'STILLNESS' " I can FEEL what you say...... being in this moment,here and now.

    simplicity = BRAVO

    DG

    ReplyDelete